The Journalist

The Student News Site of Glen Ridge High School

The Journalist

The Journalist

Polls

What is your favorite Pumpkin Spice item in the fall?

• Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Tea Latte (27%, 23 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice candles (24%, 20 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice Oreos (18%, 15 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice donuts (18%, 15 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice gnocchi (6%, 5 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice goldfish (5%, 4 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice cream cheese (2%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 41

Loading ... Loading ...

Jojo Siwa’s “Karma”

By now I am sure everyone has heard of Jojo Siwa’s new song. If you have not listened to the full song (I unfortunately have), then you may at least know some of the most famous lyrics. As of now, Jojo has gone viral, but not exactly for the right reasons. Instead of loving her new song (like I’m sure she hoped), many are making fun of it and criticizing her, all of course, with good reason. But why? What makes her song so bad? Aside from terrible choreography, acting, and overly auto-tuned vocals, the song is fine. I’m not saying that I could do better (I most certainly could not), but with how much she hypes herself up, the letdown of her song is disappointing. 

Everyone knows that Jojo was on Abby Lee Miller’s dancing show and was a well-known star. So why is dancing so painful to watch in her music video compared to her background dancers? She had a successful career on Miller’s show, but was also widely known on “Dancing with the Stars”. Should that not have translated to her dancing now? Not; many criticize her for ruining dance moves that her backup dancers make look good and flowy. If they can do it, why can’t she? Why does she have to make these moves so uncontrolled and outlandish?

Bad dancing on its own would be fine if that were the only issue with this song, however, it is not. The lyrics and vocals are compromised; the track was written for a different artist, Britt Smith,  in 2012. This would not have been such a large issue had Siwa corrected those assuming the song was her own, but she did not and instead pretended to have a great impact on the creation of the song. She is also claiming not to know who Britt Smith is! And in the case of the vocals, almost everyone has heard Jojo’s raw vocals as she tries to show off her singing skills (although it always ends up in her getting endlessly trolled). It’s okay to not be the best, but to make a career out of singing when every person on the internet tells you that you shouldn’t is questionable. I could only suggest that she not be upset or surprised when people don’t listen to her song.

Somehow, in addition to all of this, her use of this fame could be better in the eyes of the public. She claims she wants to make a new genre of music, starting with her most known new song “Karma.” This would be acceptable, however, this new genre she wants to make is called “Gay Pop.” In claiming that she wants to be the start of this genre, she is ignoring all of the artists before her who have paved the way for Siwa to be so open with her sexuality in music. An uproar has started with people attacking her for claiming to be the start of this so-called genre when so many others have done this before her: Bowie, Queen, Elton John, Lil Nas X, Sam Smith, Girl in Red, Chappell Roan, and more…In addition, she claims that all these people who have come before her are her idols (Mylie Cyrus, etc), but when asked who she would love to have on her podcast, instead of acting mature (like how she claims to be after her change) and wanting one of her idols to be on her show, she said she would rather “spice things up” and have one of her ex’s join her. Why would she want to act childish and have an ex on her show instead of her idol? Clout? Fame? Drama? Only she knows.

The large problem is not necessarily with her song (even though in the general population’s opinion, it is not her best work), it is the painful dancing, fake vocals, and immaturity that she has claimed to leave behind. I do not plan on listening to her if I don’t have to. What do you think?