The Journalist

The Student News Site of Glen Ridge High School

The Journalist

The Journalist

Polls

What is your favorite Pumpkin Spice item in the fall?

• Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Tea Latte (27%, 23 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice candles (24%, 20 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice Oreos (18%, 15 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice donuts (18%, 15 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice gnocchi (6%, 5 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice goldfish (5%, 4 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice cream cheese (2%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 41

Loading ... Loading ...

Top Fall Films To Watch This Spooky Season

As Fall finally dawns on us, cozying up on the couch and watching a movie can seem especially appealing. But what movies do we stream this time of year? Fall movies, of course! Top seasonal films to add to your watchlist may include any of the following:

Released in July of 1993 and directed by Kenny Ortega, the first Hocus Pocus movie is widely popular and perfect for this time of year. It has a Halloween vibe that makes it spooky and funny as it follows the crazy stories of the main character Max and the three witches, the Sanderson Sisters. And no one could forget Hocus Pocus 2, which was recently released in 2022 and follows a similar plot where the three witches are resurrected and defeated. Both these movies together make a perfect time on the couch, as long as you have a treat, of course.

Even though I am too scared to read the book, I like the movie version of the famous story Coraline. The book Coraline was first published in July 2002 and was written by Neil Gaiman. The movie adaptation was made only a few years later, in 2009. The plot follows a girl by the name (Can you guess?) Coraline. It talks about her story of moving into a new house she doesn’t want to live in. In this house, she finds a tunnel that takes her to a new and ideal version of her life, but the world has sinister intentions. Viewers of the movie often notice that nothing in the film is an accident, as the writers foreshadow many future scenes and plot twists. I recommend you grab a nice seat on your couch and watch Coraline try to find all those little hints for plot twists! 

Nowadays, a lot of older movies are being remade and popularized. One of these movies (or, in this case, a duology) is Ghostbusters! While the newer versions of these movies are good, nothing is as great as the originals. First released in 1984 and 1989, the Ghostbuster movies follow the supernatural story of…Yup! You guessed it! People busting ghosts. It is an all-time favorite of mine because I love to watch the adventures through the hidden temple and the dangerous battles with ghosts. This paranormal and supernatural movie is perfect for a nice, cool, fall evening.

The first time I watched Beetlejuice, to be honest, I was terrified because I was a little younger than I am now. But today, it is one of my absolute favorite movies. I even have an inflatable Sandworm (a creature featured in the film) as a Halloween decoration for my front lawn! If that doesn’t prove it’s a fall movie, I don’t know what will! The plot follows a married couple that has recently died. The couple finds that a new wealthy family is trying to move into their house, so they do the best they can to haunt them away. Unfortunately, this does not work, so they need help from a man (if you can even call him that) named Beetlejuice. From there, the plot takes off and gets even better! I would tell you the rest, but watching the humorous and strange scenes unfold is better than any writing I could give you!

As I’m sure many readers know, Knives Out is a recent movie released in 2019, with a sequel called Glass Onion in 2022. And while the second movie is good, I do not believe it is nearly as much of an aesthetic fall movie as its prequel. In Knives Out, there is a famous private detective who investigates the death of a bestselling author. The author’s nurse is asked to help with the investigation, though she cannot lie without vomiting. This is a problem because she had something to do with the death of her employer. What did she have to do with it? I cannot tell you. You have to watch this movie to find out the ending!