The Journalist

The Student News Site of Glen Ridge High School

The Journalist

The Journalist

Polls

What is your favorite Pumpkin Spice item in the fall?

• Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Tea Latte (27%, 23 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice candles (24%, 20 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice Oreos (18%, 15 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice donuts (18%, 15 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice gnocchi (6%, 5 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice goldfish (5%, 4 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice cream cheese (2%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 41

Loading ... Loading ...

Mitsuwa: A Japanese Emporium

Culinary and cultural delights await at this Japanese megastore.

Mitsuwa is an essential player in New Jersey’s diverse culinary scene and makes for a great outing on a rainy day. Teetering off the Eastern coast of New Jersey, Misuwa sits right across from New York City. All manner of Japanese delights fill the cavernous space inside. Recently, I visited this Japanese emporium with my family. The first thing I noticed was the medley of flavors flooding my senses, which certainly provided an enticing first impression. Once inside, off to the right, an open grocery store exhibiting rarely-seen vegetables and fruits beckoned my attention. Sweet and pickled lotus root, crunchy Asian pears, and daikon radishes as tall as a two-year-old lined the refrigerated aisles, piquing the interest of those seeking gastronomic delights. Further in, a tantalizing food court awaited me. The sage foodie will let their nose guide them–mine led me to Omusubi Gonbei, a fast-paced onigiri shop. I ordered the shrimp tempura balls and a Spicy Bomb, while my dad got in line for the ramen at the Santouka stand. The rest of the family frantically searched for seating in the crowded dining area. Of course, they had to partake in the customary tradition of hovering over the people who look close to finished, a silent hurry the heck up so I can sit down.

On a recent visit, I got to talking to a young woman, Stephanie, as we both waited in line for rice balls. After gushing about some “must-have” dishes– smooth almond pudding and rich, earthy udon from Oishinbo– Stephanie reminisced about how she first discovered this treasure. “I found this place when I was searching for a casual ramen restaurant. When I saw it was in a grocery store, it made me a bit skeptical, but now I’m a super-fan. I come here all the time and always get something different. Totally worth the two-hour drive.” The options are indeed endless, and a customer can try anything from tempura Teishoku to Japanese curry, and even airy waffle-donuts. I was impressed by Stephanie’s adventurous attitude. For me, I always return to my favorites.

After wishing Stephanie a wonderful meal, I went to go find my family at the seat they’d managed to procure. Though the table was hard to come by, the view was truly spectacular. The Hudson River was only 20 feet away, and ferry boats were constantly crisscrossing the blue-gray water. The landscape made it easy to feel I was in the middle of it all, both geographically and culturally. We devoured our food, slurping up homemade noodles out of real porcelain bowls, diving into rice balls as big as baseballs, and inhaling dumplings smothered in chili oil and soy sauce. 

After bussing our dishes, it was time to head to the grocery store to stock up on provisions. In the produce aisle, the famously-smelly durians, sweet and squishy persimmons, and long branches of knobbly burdock root were familiar sights. There was an impressive array of mushrooms, many of which were grown locally in the US by Japanese farmers. We loaded up on fresh ramen and udon, as well as naruto, a colorful fishcake. We couldn’t resist many of the other treasures like gaba rice and dried soba noodles, but I especially loved the candy aisle.  Everything is available, from spicy dried squid to chocolate-filled animal crackers. I chose at random and had the misfortune of selecting a face-scrunchingly sour yuzu gummy.  The store also contains many random appliances such as rice makers and sushi rolling mats that could come in handy for the novice Japanese cook.

Mitsuwa wasn’t always the same food haven it is today. It was originally a subsidiary of the major Japanese global supermarket chain, Yaohan. Yaohan opened one store in the U.S. in Torrance, California, before going bankrupt in 1997. Eventually, the company rebranded as Mitsuwa Marketplace, and quickly took off across California as well as Texas, Hawaii, and, of course, New Jersey. Mitsuwa’s success reflects America’s exploding interest in Asian culture and cuisine. It is part of a larger trend that includes such businesses as the growing H-Mart (a Korean mega-store) empire. I really love Mitsuwa, and the long lines I always see at the food stands and the constantly crowded aisles in the grocery store prove I’m hardly the only one. In our current era of division, places like Mitsuwa offer hope that we can celebrate what makes each of our cultures so special… and delicious. 

My family and I ended our visit to Mitsuwa with a trip to the soft-serve ice cream stand, a sweet treat with a Japanese twist. As we licked our green tea or black sesame-flavored cones, I felt a sense of peace and satisfaction. I wholeheartedly recommend Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ to anyone who wants wagyu beef, spicy miso paste, or neon candy. Most importantly, I recommend Mitsuwa because of its magical ability to immerse visitors in Japanese culture.