The Journalist

The Student News Site of Glen Ridge High School

The Journalist

The Journalist

Polls

What is your favorite Pumpkin Spice item in the fall?

• Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Tea Latte (27%, 23 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice candles (24%, 20 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice Oreos (18%, 15 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice donuts (18%, 15 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice gnocchi (6%, 5 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice goldfish (5%, 4 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice cream cheese (2%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 41

Loading ... Loading ...

Top 5 Empowering Feminist Movies to Stream

It is important to see feminism in the media. Everyone out there should get a chance to see sisterhood, powerful women, and stereotype-breaking in movies you will love.

1. The Devil Wears Prada

This movie features Miranda Priestly: a powerful woman who knows what she wants. The film explains that though she is seen as crazy by her employees and the public, people would not see her in this way at all if she were a man. The Devil Wears Prada explores feminism in the fashion industry and the changes the main character (played by Anne Hathaway) has to go through as someone who is ¨not cut out for high fashion. It will suck you in and leave you questioning our misogynistic society as a whole, a great quality in any piece of media. 

2. The Princess and the Frog 

The well-known main character Tiana is one of the first Disney princesses to not be saved by a man. She is the one who changes her love interest’s life and he accommodates his life to the dreams she had had since childhood. Something that stood out to me about the movie is the time it was made in 2009 making it especially revolutionary for the time. It is a sweet movie that will entertain you as well as make you cry. Tiana will inspire you to work hard, be independent, and of course shoot for the stars. 

3. Legally Blonde

Legally Blonde is known as THE feminist movie of this generation. Negative people will call it a ¨chick flick¨ but the more educated target audience can acknowledge the strong, important themes the film features. It will teach you so much about embracing femininity and not submitting to false ideas of ¨professionalism¨. You will learn during it that your body and looks do not define who you are as a person no matter how conventionally attractive or unattractive you are. 

4. Ghostbusters (2016)

Ghostbusters makes the most sense about feminism in its respective context. The cast includes all women Ghostbusters and the assistant ¨damsel in distress¨ role is played by a young attractive man. The cast heavily contrasts the earlier Ghostbusters movies which have predominantly male casts and objectifies the attractive female secretary. This is a hilarious watch that focuses on the rare sight of comedic female characters. Female characters in the media are always being laughed at and put into boxes while the males are making fun of them ex: Chandler vs Phoebe in ¨Friends¨. Because of this, Ghostbusters is like a breath of fresh air defying the stereotypes of more dated films. 

5. Little Women 

This movie is the greatest representation of sisterhood I have ever witnessed on screen. It has amazing portrayals of all different types of women. Masculine women, feminine women, strong women, soft women, smart women, and adventurous women, are all depicted positively and accurately in this movie. It gives you such a warm feeling while watching and is a crowd favorite among all different generations. The diverse personalities on screen will make anyone relate to the characters.