No-Homework Holidays: Integral or Inconvenient?

Luke Holleran

Christmas is just around the corner, and with it the announcement of the “no-homework holidays”. Homework itself has always been pretty controversial, so you can probably tell that when the school officially banned the giving of assignments over break there were mixed feelings. “I think the no-homework holidays are a good opportunity for students to relax and have a break from their work,” said Ms. Schmitt, a ninth grade math teacher here at GRHS. Many students also share this belief, including Victoria Sargent, a freshman here at our school, “Most people, if they’re going to faraway places over the holidays, don’t have enough time or space to bring their homework with them.” This introduces another interesting point; it is true that many travel during the holidays, and homework can definitely be an unneeded obstacle that can interfere with plans, such as spending quality time with family as well as other activities.  

On the other side of things, one of our Spanish teachers, Ms. Zepp, brought up something quite intriguing, “The no-homework policy is fine with me as a teacher, but if I were to teach an AP class with a strict curriculum, then I would like to be able to give an assignment over the break.” This is a valid point; some teachers may find it necessary to assign homework, especially if they teach higher level or AP courses. In accelerated classes like this, students may need the extra practice to fully understand the material provided and succeed on tests and quizzes. But then again, “It’s not really a break unless you actually have an actual break from your work,” says Sam Applebaum, a senior. So, in conclusion, are the no-homework holidays really needed? It all depends on who you ask.