The Youth of Boys Basketball

Charlie Vigna

This year at Glen Ridge High School, the boys basketball team has found new light in their young team. The basketball team currently sits atop an 11-8 overall record and looks to continue its positive span of play as they close in the regular season’s final four games. The team has been led by experienced head coach Liam Carr. He has taken a team which is smaller and younger than teams in the past, and turned them into a true contender.

In the Essex County Tournament this past month, the team took down rival West Essex High School for the second time this season. This propelled them to the second round of the tournament, where they unfortunately lost in a great fight to powerhouse University High School. 

The team has been led thus far by captains Joe Deluca and Sam Trunley. Both Deluca and Trunley have played extremely well, at times having to carry their teams through tough and gritty games. With the boys currently on a hot streak, they look to win out the rest of the season and finish with a record of 15-8 in order to carry some momentum into the state tournament. They are currently in line to play a game at home versus an opponent yet to be determined. The team hopes to make a deep run in this year’s state tournament to start off what will likely be a series of successful years for boys basketball. With their young, fierce core, the basketball program here at Glen Ridge High School seems to be in good hands for years to come.