D-R-A-M-A C-L-U-B: The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

source: Julia Hegarty

GRHS Drama Club

Julia Hegarty, Copy Editor

Rehearsals are under way for the High School Drama Club’s Spring Musical: The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. The show follows a group of elementary school children who each have their own motives for winning the bee. For example, Olive, played by Victoria Ludwig, wants to win the bee to prove her worth. Her mother lives in an ashram in India, and her father works a lot, so she’s pretty alone. Her character is complex. Victoria Ludwig elaborates, “Olive Ostrovsky is funny without knowing it, sweet without trying, and she so desperately wants (above not coming in second place) to be loved and to feel not alone.” Another character, Logainne Schwartzandgrubenierre, played by Sara Mangol, only wants to win to please her fathers. It’s a funny show with tons of pop culture references that even includes a group of audience volunteers who will act as participants in the bee. 

Auditions were the first week of January and rehearsals have been every Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday since then. Senior Julia Kolinski talks about rehearsals, “they are always a great time and I love being able to bond with the cast. The show is coming along super nicely and it’s so exciting to watch everything progress!” A week before the show the cast meets everyday to do numerous run throughs to make sure everything is perfect. “Tech week” is typically a lot of fun, but a lot of work. 

Performances are Friday, April 3rd at 7pm, Saturday, April 4th at 7pm, and Sunday, April 5th at 2pm.