The Journalist

The Student News Site of Glen Ridge High School

The Journalist

The Journalist

Polls

What is your favorite Pumpkin Spice item in the fall?

• Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Tea Latte (27%, 23 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice candles (24%, 20 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice Oreos (18%, 15 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice donuts (18%, 15 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice gnocchi (6%, 5 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice goldfish (5%, 4 Votes)
  • Pumpkin Spice cream cheese (2%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 41

Loading ... Loading ...

Local Shop Review: Alchemy Scent Bar

Wouldn’t you find it interesting to create a personalized scent?

Alchemy Scent Bar is a special way to make unique products. Rated 4.7 out of 5 stars on Google reviews, this completely original store offers the opportunity to design candles, lotions, body scrubs, scented oils, and more.

The Process:

When you walk in, you are greeted by a calming atmosphere created by the combined scent of more than 100 fragrances, and peaceful, relaxing music. One of the employees, called an alchemist, hands you a clipboard and explains the process: 

First, you walk through the library of mini candles that exhibit each scent. You have the option to pick from the seasonal scents, which are currently fall-themed. You are instructed to write the ones you like on the clipboard and to put a star next to your favorites. Once you have chosen your scents, you can choose between their various options for what to make—soap, hand sanitizer, a candle, aromatic mist, body butter, and more—and find a seat. I chose to make a candle. Once you are ready, the alchemist lets you smell each scent combination until you find what you like. I ended up with ginger ale, lemongrass, and cinnamon.

The process of mixing a candle was relatively simple. All that went into the process was pouring in the oils, mixing the wax, and stirring it until it became cloudy. When those steps were complete, I was given a few Sharpies and a white sticker to create a personalized label for my candle.

The overall process of making a candle was straightforward and uneventful, but it was still enjoyable to completely customize your product, and do something that you can’t do in most places. It was undoubtedly a fun, relaxing experience and I would recommend it to anyone.

Public opinion:

Alchemy scent bar was recently featured on New York Live TV. While watching the story, I noticed how my experience was exactly like the one exhibited on the news. Usually, employees make the store sound better or have more detail than normal while on the news. It was a real display of this local business that they treat a 12-year-old child and a news anchor the same.